How to request a free second hand computer
Щоб переглянути українську версію, натисніть тут.
PDF, English: Eligibility criteria and procedure as a flowchart
PDF, عربي (Arabic): معايير الأهلية والإجراءات كمخطط انسيابي
PDF, Français (French): Critères d’éligibilité et procédure sous forme d’organigramme
PDF, Deutsch (German): Förderkriterien und Verfahren als Flussdiagramm
PDF, Lëtzebuergesch (Luxembourgish): Usproch Critèren a Prozedur als Fluxdiagramm
PDF, فارسی (Persian): شرایط و روال تحویل رایانه به متقاضیان واجد شرایط
PDF, Português (Portuguese): Critérios de elegibilidade e procedimento como fluxograma
PDF, Español (Spanish): Diagrama sobre el procedimiento y los criterios de elegibilidad
PDF, ትግሪኛ (Tigrinya): ናይ ብቕዓት መዐቀኒታትን ኣሰራርሓን ከም ፍሎውቻርት
PDF, Українська (Ukrainian): Критерії прийнятності та процедура у вигляді блок-схеми
We distribute second-hand computers to asylum seekers (DPI or beneficiary of temporary protection) and to residents who receive the Cost-of-living benefit (allocation vie chère).
Our computers come with an Operating System already installed and are ready to use. They have at least a core-i3/5/7 generation processor, and run Windows or macOS. They come with a free repair warranty, except for the battery.
To be eligible, you must:
- Live in Luxembourg
- Be an adult (18+) (except for MNA’s-unaccompanied minor refugees, see below)
- Be a DPI; OR beneficiary of temporary protection; OR receive the Cost-of-living benefit (allocation vie chère)
- One laptop per household. Desktop possible for other household members 8 + y.o.
To register for a free second-hand computer, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need assistance to send this email, we offer individual support during our Fridays “Open Class” (9h30-13h30), as well as Digital Literacy courses in different languages to teach people become digitally autonomous.
Please include the following 8 mandatory information fields in your email:
- Whether you want a desktop, extra household desktop, or laptop. Our desktop computers are more powerful, and the waiting time is much shorter. For desktop & extra household desktop, the possible preferences are:
- Desktop Computer with 16GB RAM, SSD and a screen of at least 21 inches
- All-in-one Desktop computer with 16GB RAM, SSD
- iMac Desktop computer (generally 2 years older than our standard Windows desktops)
- Desktop Computer with a small screen (17 to 19 inches).
- Family name
- First name
- Current address
- Telephone number
- “Matricule”, social security number (for example 1985052201234)
- Attach proof of eligibility files:
- For asylum seekers (DPIs)
- A copy of the non-expired ONA file (front side of the “pink paper”; the ONA number must be visible; the original paper will be required upon invitation to check stamps on the back side). If your asylum application is cancelled, you do not meet our eligibility criteria and cannot receive a computer;
- A copy of an “Extrait du Registre national” (maximum 2 months old). You can request it: a) by sending an email to email@example.com, including the following information: full name (as it is written in your ONA document), and your “matricule” (or a copy of your passport if you cannot provide the “matricule”); OR b) At your communal administration.
- For beneficiaries of temporary protection (as is the case for most people arriving from Ukraine)
- A picture of the ONA immigration document “attestation de bénéficiaire d’une protection temporaire”;
- For other residents
- A copy of the Certificate of Cost-of-living benefit (“allocation vie chère”, maximum 12 months old) or the related Decision Letter (maximum 12 months old);
- A copy of a “Certificat de résidence elargi” (maximum 12 months old; if your municipality does not issue one under your name, please obtain instead a maximum 3-months old certificate stating that you are not eligible for such kind of certificate).
- For asylum seekers (DPIs)
We reserve the right to ask further documents, if we see necessary. The documentation of our donations guarantees a fair and equal distribution.
Please send complete email applications, this allows us to distribute faster, and help more people!
How can I know if Digital Inclusion received my application for a free second hand computer?
Your application is being treated if you get an automatic reply from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you didn’t receive it, please check your mailbox’s spam folder, as well as the spelling of email@example.com in your application email. If you still don’t receive the automatic reply, or if you want to confirm the status of your application, you can come to our premises all Fridays between 9h30 and 18h to ask. Our team will be happy to assist you.
Additional computer (for households/families)
We only give one laptop to each household, but we also offer “Extra Household Desktop”s to all other household members (aged 8 years or above.)
- Add ‘extra household desktop’ as the subject of the email application and make a request using the standard procedure described above;
- Every adult in the household other than the one who first applied for a computer from Digital Inclusion can apply in his/her own name;
- A request for an extra household desktop for the minors can be made by any adult in the household. In this case the adult must add another field to his application: 9) The name of the child who would like to receive the computer;
- Only one request can be made at a time. A new request can only be introduced when the computer from the previous request has been collected.
Computers for MNA’s
If you are an MNA (an unaccompanied minor – an asylum seeker under 18 without parents in Luxembourg), your social assistant can apply for a free computer for you. Your social assistant must write to firstname.lastname@example.org and include all the information above. The subject of the email must explicitly specify that the application is for the MNA.
Our computers come with a repair warranty (for the device’s life span, cf. contract), except for the battery. If a repair is needed, consult our repair service. If a repair is not possible we exchange it against a similar model (if available) of the same age (or older, if not available).
If a computer becomes obsolete, you may request a new desktop computer if you are still eligible (same criteria, see above). If you think your computer matches our obsoletion criteria, you must contact our repair service that then certifies the obsoletion. After that, you can submit a request for a desktop computer following our standard procedure described above (additionally mentioning ‘obsoletion exchange’ in subject). Only desktop applications will be accepted after an obsolete computer.
Our current (2022) obsoletion criteria: computer is obsolete if CPU is Intel core2-duo or older (or with AMD K10/Athlon/Athlon II CPU or older).